• Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Login
    Login Login form

Tax agents and advisers: Charities for Agents Online

Posted by on in Charities
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 6237
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print

From 22 April 2013, charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) can sign up to make repayment claims electronically, using HM Revenue & Customs' (HMRC's) new online service.

If you're registered with HMRC as an agent or nominee who can make Gift Aid or other tax repayment claims on behalf of charities and CASCs, you can sign up to and use the new Charities for Agents online service. As an agent, you can only claim for a charity or CASC that HMRC knows you are authorised to represent. If you don't have authorisation to act on behalf of the charity or CASC, you need to get this first.

This guide explains how to sign up for the HMRC Charities for Agents online service.

On this page:

New agents or nominees: get authorisation to act on a client's behalf first

If you're not already registered with HMRC Charities as an agent, but a charity or CASC asks you to make a repayment claim on their behalf, the charity or CASC needs to tell HMRC that they authorise you to make tax repayment claims on their behalf. To do this, the charity or CASC - need to complete form 'ChV1, Charities Variations' and send it to HMRC Charities, adding your details in the 'nominee and collection agency' details section. HMRC will acknowledge this authorisation and send you a 14 digit agent reference number and a 10 digit customer account reference number which you'll need for the HMRC Charities for Agents online service.

Get CHV1 - Charities variations form


Existing agents or nominees: new reference numbers issued in April

Agents already registered with HMRC Charities, including collection agents, and nominees, will be sent a 14 digit charities agent reference number for using the Charities for Agents online service and a 10 digit customer account reference number. Details of these reference numbers will be sent out by post in early April so you can sign up for the new service from 22 April 2013.


Sign up and enrol for the Charities for Agents online service

When you've got your account and reference numbers, you can set up the Charities for Agents online service and make Gift Aid or other tax repayment claims for your clients. To sign up and enrol for the Charities for Agents online service, you'll need to:

Sign up for an agent Government Gateway account - you''ll only need to do this once. If you're already registered as an agent with HMRC's Online Services, you can use your existing User ID to enrol for the Charities for Agents online service. Enrol for the Charities for Agents online service. You'll be asked to enter some 'known facts' about your business, your HMRC Charities agent reference number, customer account reference number and your postcode. Activate the Charities for Agents online service using the Activation Code which will be sent to you by post.

When you've done this you can file your Gift Aid repayment claims electronically by using the HMRC schedule spreadsheets or by using your own database.

The online service will go live on 22 April 2013. HMRC will provide more information on what you'll need to do to sign up for and use the service on the website.


Saving partially completed claims online

If you're part way through making an online claim for a client and want to save what you've done so far and return to it later, you can do this by selecting 'next' - this saves the information you've entered so far.


Time limits for completing and submitting claims

You need to submit an online claim within 30 days of starting it - you can save and return to a partially completed claim as many times as you like within this 30 day period. If you don't make your claim within 30 days, the information on the partially saved claim will be deleted, and you will need to start again, as a new claim.


Contacting the HMRC Charities Helpline

For more help you can contact the Charities Helpline.

Contact details for HMRC Charities Helpline


More useful links

Charities Online: making your Gift Aid repayments quicker and easier


Rate this blog entry: